SBA 8(a) Business Development Program
Redhorse is a SBA certified 8(a) Business Development Program participant. The 8(a) Program is a nine-year business development program which provides specialized business training, counseling, marketing and technical assistance to small, disadvantaged businesses. The program assists firms by facilitating the award of sole-source and limited-competition contracts and by providing business development assistance. Federal customers can procure services under the 8(a) program using the following contracting mechanisms: sole source award; 8(a) competitive award with limited competition; and Basic Ordering Agreements. Contract types include firm fixed price, cost plus fixed fee, cost plus award fee, and time and materials.
Key features of the program include:
- Ability to receive sole source contracts from federal agencies
- $4 million for goods and services
- $6.5 million for manufacturing
- Limited competition opportunities set aside for 8(a) program participants
- Utilization of joint venture agreements to pursue opportunities
- Opportunity to participate in the SBA Mentor-Protégé Program
For more information on specific components of the program, please see SBA Standard Operating Procedure 80 05 3A. A copy of this SOP is available from the SBA a http://www.sba.gov/sites/default/files/serv_sops_sop80053a.pdf. Additional information on using the 8(a) Business Development Program to obtain services from Redhorse can be obtained by contacting the SBA San Diego District Office (619) 557-7250.